Jesus The Good Shepard Lantern

Jesus The Good Shepard At The Lantern Festival
Jesus The Good Shepard At The Lantern Festival

Jesus The Good Shepard Lantern

Jesus the Good Shepard has arrived! Lanterns! Lanterns! Lanterns! They are everywhere at the Taichung Lantern Festival. Did you see the Goat Lantern? Look, there is a a duck! There is  every kind of animal depicted.  The famous Dragon is clearly the favorite lantern. Dragon lanterns are everywhere you turn. It is more than obvious that Dragons are a favorite for people to buy. But who else showed up at the festival?  Jesus, of course!  Jesus, The Good Shepard,  was there with his tiny lamb. One of the tallest and nicest lanterns was one of The Good Shepard. It was also a unique and completely original lantern.  What fun it was to see Jesus, The Good Shepard, at the Lantern Festival in Taichung , Taiwan.

Christians make up some 4.5% of Taiwan’s total population. About half of Taiwan’s Christian population are Catholic. The other half are Protestants. The Taichung area has a large number of indigenous peoples living in the nearby mountain communities.There is a large number  of indigenous people who profess Christianity.  Nearly all of Taiwan’s aborigines profess to be Christians of some denomination or the other. Almost 70% of the indigenous population are Presbyterian. Most of the remaining 30% are Roman Catholic. Most of these live in the Southern part of Taiwan. Since Taichung is a city in Southern Taiwan, it came of no surprise to see Jesus, The Good Shepard make a mighty appearance at the festival. Was Jesus at your Festival?

The Roman Catholic Church has a very small minority presence in Taiwan.  It is found mainly in the south of the island. Here is  where Spanish Dominican priests from the Philippines arrived in the 1800’s.  The next few years saw a large exodus of Christian Communities from Mainland China to the region. Because of this, there is a large Mandarin-speaking population that are mainly Roman Catholic and live in the South. Roman Catholicism is under-represented among the native Taiwanese and especially among the indigenous people. Presbyterians are by far the largest Christian group on the island. As such, they supported the Taichung Lantern Festival in large numbers, talking Jesus with them. What fun to see Jesus at the Festival! What a delight! Did you  see Jesus?

So who or what came to your Lantern Festival? Did you have Dragons? Or maybe you had Goats? For those in Taichung, Jesus made a mighty entrance at the Taichung Lantern Festival. If you missed this years Lantern Festival, there is always next year. Who knows, who you will see. Maybe, you  will see Jesus at the Lantern Festival!

https://www.pinterest.com/exploretraveler/i-love-taiwan/

Exploretraveler.com

 

Facebook Comments

You may also like

The Magnificent Church Of The Holy Sepulcher In Jerusalem Israel

 Light Shines In The Darkness At The Church